Selling your home can be both an exciting and emotional time in your life. And while you need to ‘wow’ your prospective buyer from the get-go, most of us don’t want to be spending a whole lot of extra cash on the home that we’re about to move out of! As we know, the amount of natural light that a home receives can be a major deciding factor in the mind of your buyer. So it’s important that you maximize nature’s gift and give the right impression from the start. Here are the two most commonly asked questions by homeowners when it comes to selling their house.
Q. Can I improve on what I’ve already got without spending extra?
The simple answer is yes- Roll up your sleeves, get out the cleaning bucket, brushes and cloths and set to work. Some warm soapy water and a bit of elbow grease will go a long way! Of course, the type of window treatments you have will determine how you go about the task, but it’s important to take time to clean them so that they look their best.
• Wipe shutters and Venetian blinds with warm water and mild detergent, then dry them with a clean cloth
• Wipe roller blinds with a damp cloth to remove dust and insect spots
• Vacuum curtains or wash them according to manufacturers’ instructions
• Vacuum vertical blinds and spot clean with warm water (and mild detergent if necessary)
• Remove leaves and debris from awnings and clean them using warm water and mild detergent.
And don’t forget about the window sills and tracks… dead flies and mildew aren’t a good advertisement…
Once you’ve cleaned the window dressings, give the windows themselves a good scrub – it’s truly amazing how much more light filters into the home when all the windows are free from dust and dirt!
Q. I need to install new window treatments, but I don’t want to spend much money
When preparing your home for sale, it’s super important to keep your window treatments neutral and ‘un-fussy’: remember that what suits your taste may not necessarily suit that of your buyer, so keep it simple and ‘middle-of-the-road’. There are several cost-effective methods of dressing your windows which will instantly lift the aesthetic appeal of your home:
• Roller Blinds are an all-time favourite. They’re easy to install, relatively inexpensive and they always look fantastic. Available in a huge range of fabrics to suit every colour-scheme and decorating style, they’re a winner every time. If a level of privacy is needed, consider the two-in-one option of dual roller blinds: day-time privacy and night-time block-out made easy!
• Venetian Blinds are another general all-rounder. They appeal to most tastes, while their sleek and unobtrusive design adds its own subtle charm and refinement. Available in timber or aluminium, they’re bound to work in nicely in any situation.
For more information about installing appropriate window treatments when staging your home for sale, call the team at Complete Blinds on (02) 8824 7975 and talk to one of our staff. We specialise in affordable class and style, and we’d love to help you create something beautiful and cost-effective for your home.