Wooden shutters for windows can be a great addition to your home. Not only do they add an extra dimension to the room, they are functional. Additionally, they increase curb appeal and the value of your home. Like all great things though, they do come with their own upkeep. To ensure they last for as long as possible, and are in the best condition for the duration of their life there are a few things you can do. Wooden shutters will need things like treatment and re-staining from time to time to keep them looking beautiful long into the future.
It is very important to do this on a regular basis. Without proper treatment and stain, the wood may rot and need to be replaced instead of simply refinished. Shutters for windows should be treated like any other wood product. Just like you would re-stain your fence or deck every few years, you should re-stain your window shutters.
Here are some tips to make sure you don’t need to replace your shutters sooner than you necessary.
- Remove all flaking and old stain before you apply a new coat. Putting new stain on top of flaking stain will cause it to not properly adhere. And it will flake off with the old stain. A good, smooth start will give you the best possibility of keeping your shutters looking the best.
- A quick sanding over the entirety of the shutter will give the new stain a surface to adhere to. It doesn’t have to be a perfect sanding, just something to grip to.
- Fill in any larger cracks or gaps with wood filler. This gives them a smooth surface and minimise the chances of being damaged.
- Don’t soak the wood with stain. Wipe on a bit with a rag, let it dry a bit and wipe it off. Don’t try to apply a large amount at once. Ensuring even coverage will give your wooden shutters the longevity you want from them.
- Staining is not the final step. Applying a layer of sealant will help not only keep the stain looking its best. And will prevent the elements like rain and snow from soaking into the wood and ruining it. It may seem like an unneeded step, but is key to keeping your shutters looking their best.
Understand that you will have to redo this every few years. Knowing the effort and upkeep your shutters will take before installation will better help you know what to expect to keep them looking their best for years into the future.
Shutters for windows come in all sizes and styles, why not call us today and organise to see our range for yourself. Additionally, if you need tips and advice on keeping your shutters looking the best, contact our team at Complete Blinds. With years of experience in window coverings, our team can help guide you in making the best decisions for your home. Stop by our store today and see how we can help you.